The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

Game of Fans: Melbourne’s Game of Thrones Convention

Lahela Delaney

Winter is coming.” That is correct for Melbourne at the moment of the year, as well as for the fantasy land of Westeros. This ominous periodic declaration has hung over each period of the blockbuster TV series Game of Thrones since its first episode aired in 2011.

Though, naturally, winter has finally appeared in Westeros, due to the bright raven which reported its coming in the concluding event of time six. Ian Beattie, who represents Ser Meryn Trant in Sport of Thrones, will be at ThronesCon in Melbourne.

Melbourne’s Game of Thrones Convention:

We’ll need to wait until July to determine another hit in the power struggle for that Iron Throne along with the threat of the demonic White Walkers. Meanwhile, Melbourne’s Sport of Thrones lovers is staving off our personal upcoming winter by joining a meeting specialized in the line: ThronesCon. game of thrones season 7 online

Though Recreation of Thrones has been the main topic of panels and star shows at key activities, for example, San Diego’s annual Comic-Con, ThronesCon will be among the first fan conventions anywhere to become dedicated to the series.

“It’s essentially the most popular TV series of the existing age,” explains event director Pete J. Smith. “it has been mentioned we are living in the Golden Age of television at this time. The sport of Thrones year six had the biggest premiere audience of any TV series in Australian history, and we are coming up for the final two times right now – and so the hype is starting to build.

“There’s a large amount of interest; there are plenty of fan theories by what’s going on behind the scenes. Using a series that usually has only 10 episodes – although next season has just seven – people watch for so long that crazy rumors build. Who’s still alive, who is written out, is this person associated with that individual, are these two likely to get married, is that this dragon is going to become an ice monster – we’re going to find out.”

Smith agrees. “It just stumbled on like an old tale and then slowly added frequently known fantasy elements. As it created, it’s become full-scale fantasy. I can’t think about another fantasy series that is acknowledged it with so much truth, that leads you down this journey of thinking ‘this may have happened.’ And the composer of the initial A Song of Ice and Fire books, George R.R. Martin, has acknowledged there exists a lot of historical sources in the characters and settings.”

Aside from its smattering of magic and legendary creatures, a fundamental element of Game of Thrones’ charm remains its old-style setting, with knights and women, casual usage of violence to accomplish objectives, and outdated gender roles.

Gillian Polack, a Canberra-based educator, novelist, and doctor in medieval studies, has a remedy. “Itis, not the time, it’s us,” she says. “We need the past that is not genuine, so we often use a false Dark Ages. We allocate a lot of our romantic attitudes to that particular period, and thus when we see a knight, we feel ‘Dark Ages.’ It’snot the Dark Ages; it’s this sense of ‘We need love, we need derring-do,’ so we are flung into it.

Given this refurbishment of an era to assist our personal storytelling purposes, as well as the fact that Martin relocated his kings and queens to a dream world for his novels, you might expect it series to possess minor intersection with historical fact. But that isn’t the case. “You Have also got components of the 12th-century civil war of King Stephen versus Matilda when England found a complete breakdown. The chroniclers called it ‘When Christ and his saints slept’ and it’s much like the complete insufficient capacity you’ve in Sport of Thrones, where everyone gets killed, nobody’s capable of farming, nothing works, along with the law does not operate.”