The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

5 Discounts You Get as a College Student

Lahela Delaney, Editor

With college on the horizon for many of the school’s seniors, getting a jump on student discounts is a quick way to save money. Here is a list of things you can get for cheap as a college student:

Clothing

Topshop, Toms, Madewell, ASOS, Alex and Ani, American Apparel, and Banana Republic all give at least 10% off on clothing purchases if they can verify that you are currently in college.

Computers  

Apple, Dell, and Microsoft all have discounts for students ranging from $50 to $250 off purchases on laptops and tablets.

Furniture

Need to decorate your new dorm? No problem! West Elm and Pottery Barn both offer 15% discounts on furniture for college students.

Transportation

Local subway systems near your college as well as national companies like Greyhound will give student passes that can be up to 20% off.

Entertainment

Museum tickets, Broadway shows, and concerts are often marked down for students. For example, the Metropolitan Museum in New York City is only $12 compared to the usual $25 as a student. Spotify premium subscriptions are 50% off. For the more sporty crowd, places like ski lodges and stadiums will mark down prices for college students.

Several apps also provide these services. Check out TUN, Groupon, and College Foodz for more savings.