The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

Canada smart to legalize weed in 2018

Photo by Wikimedia available under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial license.

Meilin Quinn

Canadians should be able to smoke marijuana legally soon, as per prime minister Justin Trudeau’s campaign promise.

Trudeau’s government will introduce a legislation to legalize recreational marijuana by the week of April 10th, a senior government official announced, and the legislation is expected to become law by July 2018.

This is big news, as many people smoke pot. To find out how Canadians are feeling about this, I took to Omegle:

Take this conversation as you will, as Anne Marie could very well be a 42-year-old man from India–there’s really no telling with Omegle. But what Anne Marie claims holds some truth.

“And marijwana is not that harmful as poisons mixed by the gangs”

Marijuana may be the least dangerous recreational drug

According to findings published in Scientific Reports, marijuana has the lowest risk of mortality compared to 10 other common drugs including the currently-legal alcohol and tobacco. Researchers compared lethal doses of certain substances to an amount used by a typical consumer of each drug, and found that marijuana is roughly 114 times less deadly than alcohol and 18 times less deadly than tobacco.

When comparing tobacco with marijuana, it is important to note that

1. Marijuana bud contains at least 33% as much tar as tobacco
  2. Marijuana smokers typically do not smoke as much as tobacco smokers (due to the absence of nicotine, as well as the psychoactive effects of cannabis)
  3. No case of lung cancer has ever been successfully linked to marijuana use

“More money to economy”

Economic benefits of legalizing marijuana

With the legalization of medical and recreational marijuana, Colorado saw a $135 million increase in revenue from taxes and fees in 2015. If California, which is much larger than Colorado, were to legalize marijuana, they  could exceed $15 billion in sales revenue and $3 billion in tax revenue, according to an April 2016 study by ICF InternationalIn fact, the growing, distributing, increased tourism, pot paraphernalia sales, and business taxes are predicted to boost Canada’s economy by $22.6 billion annually.

“Less drug dealers”

Less drug-related crime charges

With recreational marijuana still outlawed in 42 states, law enforcement agencies made 574,641 arrests in 2015 for possession of the drug–13.6 percent more than the 505,681 arrests made for violent crimes, including rape, murder, and assault. Meanwhile, arrests for the possession and distribution of marijuana in Colorado has dropped by nearly half since sales became legal. Speaking about marijuana dispensaries, a commander for the Boulder County Sheriff’s Drug Task Force says, “They’re like any other business as long as they’re following the regulations.”

“Legal things are better”

Opioid deaths are plummeting in states with legal weed

A recent study shows that states with medical marijuana programs are seeing a decline in opioid-related hospitalizations and death. Further, data suggests that, given the choice, many patients prefer marijuana over opioids for treating pain. There’s less paranoia, less arrests, more transparency (i.e. you know exactly what you’re getting), and more economic benefits from purchasing marijuana from a dispensary instead of a dealer or the black market. For these reasons, legal weed is better than illegal weed. 

Disclaimer: The Rough Rider does not encourage talking to strangers online or smoking marijuana