The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

Trump’s Healthcare

Kimiko Maeda-Leon, Staff Writer

The Trump administration experienced yet another downfall as their health care plan was shut down by other politicians.

The Republican counterpart of the ACA (Affordable Care Act or Obamacare) is called the American Health Care Act and is intended to get rid of the aspects of the ACA that made it financially unstable.

Differences include Medicaid reduction, subsidy reduction, and not taxing the wealthy. It is suppose to reduce the national deficit by a significant amount (billions by the tenth year); however, it also leaves millions of people uninsured who would have had insurance under Obamacare.

On March 23, 2017, Trump, Paul Ryan and other supporters had the House vote on the repealment of Obamacare so that the AHCA would have a clear path to move forward.

This did not become the case, however, when the repealment failed miserably even with a Republican-dominated House.

The repealment–and its replacement–concerned many Republicans despite assurances from Trump. Many said it was too much of a risk.
After an emergency meeting, Trump and Paul Ryan decided to withdraw their health care bill before it got shut down by the House. He responded to the press by laying blame on multiple parties.

The New York Times reported that “Mr. Trump blamed Democrats for the bill’s defeat, and they proudly accepted responsibility.”