The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

“Roll” Your Way Over to Sweet Creams

Kayla Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Recently, people have been talking about the new ice cream shop near Ala Moana that has been all over social media since their grand opening on February 18th. Located on 1430 Kona St., Sweet Creams specializes in Thai frozen dessert. What’s special about this place is that they are the only shop in Hawai’i that makes ice cream “rolls.”

What I found most interesting is that everything is prepared right in front of the customer. The ice cream is made by pouring sweetened milk on an iced steel grill and mixing it with the fruits and/or candies of your choice. When the creamy mixture hardens, the workers spread it across the surface and use metal spatulas to scrape the sections into small, cigar-shaped rolls. After, the rolls are placed nicely into a cup and topped with your choice of whipped cream, syrups, cereal, fruits, etc.

Their two most popular flavors so far are the Strawberry Shortcake (includes fresh strawberries, and topped with a house-made strawberry-milk syrup, Fruity Pebbles, and a graham cracker), and Cookies ‘n’ Cream (topped with Oreos and Cocoa Pebbles, along with a Choco Pocky Stick). Other flavors that were also on the menu were the Pineapple 5-0 (pineapples, coconut flakes, coconut milk syrup, shortbread cookies, and li hing powder), Frozen Hot Cocoa (topped with chocolate chips and marshmallows), Thank You Very Matcha (topped with azuki beans and coconut milk syrup), and Monkey ‘N Around (Nutella, bananas, Teddy Grahams, and Cocoa Krispies).

Customers  are also able to create their own bowl by choosing from their three milk bases (original, hot cocoa, and matcha), an ingredient to be chopped into the base, and three toppings. Custom bowls are 50 cents more. Sweet Creams also serves freshly squeezed lemonades for $3.95 each.

The bowls were reasonably priced for $7 for a regular bowl and $5 for a keiki bowl. I bought the keiki Cookies ‘n’ Cream, and I enjoyed it for the most part. The only issues I had with it was that the ice cream melts relatively quickly. But other than that, the service and atmosphere was great, and the ice cream was enjoyable. I would definitely visit Sweet Creams again to try the different flavors.