The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

The Advisory You Deserve

Photo by Ajari, available under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial license

Advisory is often the subject of heated debate around school and many students have mixed feelings about it.

Students argue that there is little practicality in advisoryit extends school hours, lacks focus, and is poorly structured. The only instance in which it saves time is when juniors use their allotted fifty minutes to bubble in personal information for the ACT.

The resource disparity between different classes is also problematic. While some have technology, air conditioning, or simply smaller class sizes, others do not.

Advisory touts students’ ability to form personal relationships with their advisory teachers as one of its strengths, but back in 2014 the current seniors did not even have an advisory period. The interruption is probably another reason for controversy and administrators should be firm about the permanence of advisory in the coming years.

Interestingly though, students do not have a problem with advisory as a concept, but advisory as it is currently being implemented. If advisory was utilized properly, it could be a revolutionary program that helps students achieve what they need for the future.

The first step to making advisory live up to its potential is to lay out a concrete structure. The advisory schedule is somewhat mysterious and often lacks consistency. Spending the last ten to twenty minutes of advisory as personal study hall due to a lack of assignments leads many students to the conclusion that advisory is useless. Meaningful tasks that use the entire time allotted for advisory would also be a good way to improve the class.

Additionally, teachers working one-on-one with the student and attempting to talk with them about their future projects would be worthwhile. Creating a deeper bond between students and faculty would provide the student body with a resource outside of the college and career counselor to rely on for guidance, especially if college is not an option.

For seniors, advisory could be a time to hand out graduation information and to explain the timeline after school finishes. Although the need for parental attendance at graduation meetings is understandable, much of the graduation paperwork can be distributed during this time instead of during assemblies and would make the process much more streamlined.

Changing advisory so dramatically would be time-consuming, but since this program is here to stay, it should at least be functional. If the administration is truly striving to prepare their students for college and career readiness, advisory is in dire need of an overhaul.