The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

May the Course be With You

Halle Daniels, Staff Writer

With winter rolling in, two freshmen in cross country finished the season with a bang at the Hawaii State Cross Country Championships.

D’elle Martin was one of the freshmen who participated in the past meet, finishing with a time of 24.25.82( 24 minutes, 25 seconds, 82 tenths of a second).

“I’ve been running cross country since middle school, so I’ve had quite a bit of experience,” Martin said when asked about her success in the meet.  

Martin’s athletic passion did not just start in middle school, she started running marathons at the young age of seven.

Martin told us, “I’ve done the Great Aloha Run and the Honolulu Ekiden.”

When she isn’t on the track, she’s in the water.

“I also do swimming and have taken a few junior lifeguard classes over the past summers,” Martin said.

However it’s not all that easy for this star athlete.

“I do deal with a lot of stress having to keep up with school and stay in shape,” Martin confessed. “I also get nervous really easily which does not always work in my favor. Also, being one of only a few freshman, with several upperclassmen and it being my first year, rattled my nerves.”

Martin plans to join next year because she loves the support from her teammates.

“We are like one big family.”

Brianna Wong is another freshmen who participated in states and finished with a time of 25:02.76

“Before any type of competition I always have to chew gum and listen to music,” Wong said.

Wong also plays other sports and uses cross country as a way to keep herself occupied and in shape.

Wong said, “I wasn’t even going to join but I thought it would be good conditioning for soccer, and, being new to the school, a good way to make friends.”

Senior Kyra Calinao describes Wong as “very friendly and outgoing, and has a very bubbly and determined personality.”

“This being her first year she runs really good, and is a quick learner,” said Calinao.