The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

Honolulu Biennial

Halle Daniel, Staff Writer

This art exhibit was located at The HUB, the Ward location of the Honolulu Biennial

In response to the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in Japan Ken and Julia Yonetani replaced antique chandelier frames with uranium glass. This material causes the chandeliers to glow with an eerie fluorescent green light under ultraviolet lighting. This photo was taken on May 4, 2017.

This visual arts display at the Honolulu Biennial shows several boats congested with household items as well as some unorthodox items such as the bust of a head and a mini windmill.

Scientific expeditions and ocean water sampling were Michelle Schwengel-Regala’s inspiration for this art display. It is made of copper and aluminum wire. The columns describe the ocean’s depth and water clarity. They reference the forces of nature and human inquiry. This display was found at the Honolulu Biennial on May 4,2017.

Vernon Ah Kee created these charcoal drawings that are apart of a series called Unwritten, representing haunting histories of racism and violence against people in Australia. The unrecognizable ghostly figures are symbolic of forgotten histories and identities. Their bound faces and torsos evoke the suffering of the indigenous Australians.

This display shows several individual sketches and writings.

Freshman Zoe Fernandes said,” This is my favorite exhibit because I love the colors and each one is unique, no two paintings are the same.”

Artist Eko Nugroho used acrylic paint to create several murals called Above the Wall Under the Rainbow, Free Air. Below the surface of his joyful paintings lie serious global issues and everyday realities. He was able to complete three mural in Hawaii, but his trip was cut short due to the executive order of immigration from President Trump.

Halle Daniels captures another mesmerizing visual art exhibit at the Honolulu Biennial, on May 4, 2017.

Artist Lee Mingwei planted a lily bud and lived with it 24 hours a day for 100 days, and documented all the activities he performed with the flower each day. This was a tribute to his late grandmother.