The student news site of Roosevelt High School

The Rough Rider

DIY Wrist Corsage

Sophomore Lauren Jay poses with her wrist corsage on Saturday, March 11, for junior prom. The corsage was customly ordered and purchased from Lee’s Flowers off of King’s st. and retailed for $30.  Lakota Nguyen models her own homemade corsage on her living room table on Monday, March 13.

Sophomore Lauren Jay poses with her wrist corsage on Saturday, March 11, for junior prom. The corsage was customly ordered and purchased from Lee’s Flowers off of King’s st. and retailed for $30. Lakota Nguyen models her own homemade corsage on her living room table on Monday, March 13.

Lakota Nguyen

It’s that time of the year again–prom season! With a little more than a quarter left in the school year, the senioritis epidemic had taken over the school hallways. One of the most frequent topics of discussion via imessage or lunch is prom. While Roosevelt High School’s junior prom just passed on the 11th, senior prom is yet to come.

While going around town and helping shop for my brother’s junior prom, I noticed that you could easily spend hundreds of dollars towards that one night of partying. However, the most astonishingly expensive item I found was the price of wrist corsages!

Then it dawned on me, what if I could make my own wrist corsage? Not only would it be less expensive, but also more customizable and personal.

So I hit the internet. After hours of YouTube tutorials, scrolling through Pinterest, and reading wikiHow, I have compiled a recipe for an easy, diy wrist corsage that combines the best of each method.

Things you will need:

• Flowers
    • Small, medium, and large
    • Leaves to add the floral feel
  • Cardboard
  • 1” to 1 ½” ribbon
  • Zip ties or wire
  • Stem tape
  • Glue gun
  • Boxcutter
  • Scissors

Step 1

Use a circle-like object to measure your wrist (I used the stem tape roll). Make sure it fits your wrist and you like the size. This will be the shape of the base to your corsage.

Step 2

Trace the object on the cardboard twice. In my case, I used cardboard but you can use any sturdy alternative. Using your scissors, cut them out so you have 2 cardboard circles. Next, make 2 slits parallel to one another on ONE of the cardboard circles using the boxcutter. String your ribbon through the slits. Put this to the side, you will be needing it later.

Step 3

Use the flowers that you have.

Bundle the medium sized flowers with smaller ones like baby’s breath (the white flowers). Use stem tape to hold them together; make sure you wrap them tight! These bundles will be used as a compliment to the main flower of the corsage. Repeat this two times so you have 2 bundles total.

Step 4

Take the bundles you have created and put them together. Use zip ties or wire to connect them and make one big bundle. Set this aside.

Step 5

Take the cardboard circle that does not have the slits. Plan out and place how and where you want to arrange the leaves. This makes the corsage more believable and frames it. Once that is done, hot glue them into place.

Step 6

Select your main flower and cut off the stem. This will be used very shortly.

Step 7

Take the bundle you made a while ago and place it near the edge of the cardboard. I found that it looks more flattering when it is placed where the leaves meet the cardboard. Once you are content with the arrangement, hot glue it to the cardboard. TIP: Less is more; start with a little glue and work your way up until it sticks. Wait until dry.

Step 8

Take your main flower and place it in the middle. Hot glue it to the cardboard. Make sure you don’t go overboard with the glue gun for too much will make it unnecessarily heavy and a waste of space.

Step 9

So far, the corsage is turning out good, but it is lacking the complementary flowers around it. Make a small bundle of flowers using the stem tape. This one should be smaller than the other bundle and placed on the opposite side of the main flower. Hot glue it in place.

Step 10

Fill any blank spots in the corsage with the small flowers (baby’s breath) to your liking. This makes the corsage appear more full and blends the colors.

Step 11

Glue the cardboard piece with the flowers on it to the piece with the ribbon. I found that putting a thin circle of hot glue around the cardboard works best.

And there you have it. It is done! Although it is not as sturdy as a professional corsage, it beats having to pay the high expense of a wrist corsage.  Tie it around your wrist and have fun modeling and showing off your hard work or wear it to an event!